Our experienced equine veterinary team can help you with Horse & Pony Vetting and practical advice.
Purchasing a new horse or pony can be a daunting decision. Pilgrims Vets’ experienced equine team are available to help you make the decision and reduce potential risks around purchasing a new companion.
A horse vetting, or pre-purchase examination, is a thorough assessment of the animal which follows RCVS guidelines, and after which we can provide the best practical advice on whether the horse is fit for purchase and suitable for your specific needs.
A standard Horse Vetting usually involves 5 stages:
- Stage 1 – Preliminary examination
- Stage 2 – Trotting up
- Stage 3 – Strenuous exercise
- Stage 4 – A period of rest
- Stage 5 – The second trot and foot examination
In many cases, a 2 stage Pony or Horse Vetting is requested, in which case stages 3-5 are omitted, with acknowledgment of the limitations in doing so.
Once you have purchased your horse, Pilgrims Vets in the New Forest can provide you with the below equine services:
- Rounds Visits to provide fundamental health care
- Routine & Advanced Dentistry from basic rasping to extractions
- Lameness Investigation is common for our experienced equine team
- Regular Equine Health Checks are important when keeping a horse or pony
- Equine surgery for routine and more complex procedures